Ah yes, it is time for my long forgotten “Make it a Meal” feature! Today’s meal is incredibly easy—crockpot roasted chicken.
I know, crockpot roasted chicken? How the heck does that work?
Don’t worry because I did enough of that for all of us while this meal cooked and it turned out great. Now you are probably wondering how this recipe came to be. It’s simple, Giant had whole chickens on sale and google is a wonderful thing. We had an evening movie and I still wanted a home-cooked meal afterward.
I typed crockpot whole chicken and I found this recipe and it met my criteria:
- Is it easy?
- Is it somewhat healthy?
- Is it easy?
Now on to the cooking—
1. Buy a chicken. Mine was just under 6 pounds.
2. Pull out your crockpot or slow cooker.
3. Remove all the innards from your chicken.
4. Cube up two tablespoons of butter.
5. Put a few cubes in the chicken cavity, under the skin and on top of the skin.
6. Place in crockpot.
7. Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you choose. I used a jar of Grillmates Smokehouse Maple.
8. Cover and set on low.
9. Follow Kelly Clarkson’s instructions.
10. Check on it about four hours later. If the popper has popped, it is done. You can keep it on warm until you are ready to serve it or keep it cooking if the popper has popped.
Side note: It will take between 4 and 8 to cook your chicken depending upon the size of the bird.
11. About 5 minutes before you are ready to eat, place the bird on a cookie tray and broil (on low) for about 4 minutes. This crisps up the skin. Watch it a little better than I did– mine burned in a spot (or two).
12. Carve and serve!
The chicken exceeded my expectations and was delicious. Next time I’m going to cut up some potatoes, carrots, and onions to add to the crockpot while the chicken cooks.
Hope you try this meal soon.