One of the first things we learned about two minutes after getting Hazel was that she is highly food motivated. Heck, at the breeder’s she was allowed a bit of freedom with another puppy and proceeded to lead the other puppy to the giant stacks of puppy food, diving in head first.
Food is her sole reason for getting up in the morning. We’ve learned different situations require different value treats. Different value treats?
Yes, for simple training in the house, cheerios will suffice. For walks and other events where more attention is required, we use Hazel’s dogs.
Now you are probably asking what are Hazel dogs. It’s simple, they are just microwaved chicken hot dogs and boy do they motivate her. Since they are a huge hit with her, I thought I would post them in case any of you are looking for new treats for your pooch.
What you will need:
- Hot dogs (I use Gwaltney’s)
- Paper towel
1. Take out two hot dogs. Quarter the hot dog longways.
2. Cut it into slices.
3. Place paper towel (folded in half) on plate. Place sliced hot dogs on the plate (somewhat spread out).
4. Microwave for three minutes.
5. Continue to slice all the other hot dogs.
6. Watch Hazel stare at the microwave and bark when it goes off.
7. After three minutes, mix the hot dog pieces. Microwave for another two minutes.
8. When the two minutes is up, let them sit for about 30 seconds. At this point they should be chewy and slightly tough. It’s ok to taste one. I do it all the time.
9. Repeat the process with about two hot dogs worth of slices at a time
10. Store in Rubbermaid container but leave the lid off for a few hours allowing the hot dogs to cool.
For us, the package last about 2-3 weeks since we use these treats on every walk and when we use the command “Come.” What I like about these versus Beggin’ Strips is that it don’t become hard as rocks after taking them out of the sealed bag. Hopefully your puppy will like them too!