Sigh. I hate to say it but summer is almost over. In a few short days Labor Day will be here and we’ll be dealing with falling leavings and pumpkin everything. I don’t know about you but we are not ready for it.
Do you think if everyone shouted, “Go away fall” at the same time, it might happen or if we all push our calendars back a few weeks and pretend the previous weeks never occurred.
In honor of the summer and all the delicious garden goodies, I’m sharing my family’s zucchini pie recipe. Every year my dad grows more zucchini’s than he know what to do with which in turn leads to much zucchini bread and zucchini pies. I remember watching my parents make this pie en mass for the winter. We’d have them every once in a while for dinner during the winter months and it was like eating summer.
If you’re practicing freezer cooking and looking for a recipe, look no further than our End of Summer Zucchini Pie. It’s a pretty basic dish which you can spice any way you want. Feel making a batch Tex Mex, add taco seasoning. Want it Italian, add Italian seasonings.
End of Summer Zucchini Pie
What you will need:
- 1 tube crescent rolls or 1 frozen pie crust or 1 homemade pie crust
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 4 c thinly sliced zucchini with skins
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Half a packet of seasonings (e.g. Italian, texmex, ranch)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (e.g. mozzarella, muenster, italian blend, taco blend)
- 1c chopped onions
1. Line 8.5 or 9” pie plate with crescent rolls or your own pie crust or use frozen pie crust with a pan.
Side note: Let’s face it, I’m lazy and went with the frozen pie crust.
2. Spread crust with mustard. At this point it looks like a sun.
3. Sauté zucchini and onion in butter or margarine. Feel free to omit the butter and use cooking spray to keep it lighter.
4. Add the seasonings of choice to the veggie mixture. I went with Ranch since it’s what I had on hand.
5. Let cool.
Side note: we let it cool to prevent the hot veggies from instantly cooking the eggs.
6. Beat eggs or use egg white and add cheese.
7. Mix with zucchini and onion.
8. Put the mixture into the crust and bake 350° for 30 minutes.