We are a house divided. Ok, we are really just a house split on this recipe. Greg loved it and I was on the fence about it. You see, after eating nothing but delicious homemade pasta in Italy, I wanted to be a good wifey and make some gnocchi for Greg especially after finding a pumpkin gnocchi recipe.
Are you getting tired of pumpkin recipes yet? Good because I’m not tired of making them and Hazel’s not tired of eating them.
So now back to the house divide thing . . . Greg enjoyed them but I felt it lacked a full pumpkin taste. I am attributing this to the fact I did not use whole wheat white flour, just regular whole wheat flour. We served them in a browned butter sauce with cinnamon.
They were tasty but not what I was looking for in pumpkin taste. Since I made them and 50 percent of the household enjoyed the tasted, I decided to post them anyway because maybe you’d like to change something to them.
Big old side note: Gnocchi are time consuming to make– we’re talking about 30-45 minutes worth of work. If you are not interested in slaving away for some gnocchi, store bought ones are just as good.
Pumpkin Gnocchi (modified from The Skinny Fork)
1 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree
1 1/2 C. Whole Wheat White Flour
1 Large Egg
1/8 Tsp. Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. If you have a KitchenAid, use the dough hook for this recipe. If you have a food processor which makes bread dough, use it. Otherwise, mix all of the ingredients. You might need to add extra flour to the dough to get the correct consistency. It should be slightly sticky.
2. Take it out of the mixer and do a little hand kneading. Before doing this, coat your surface with a light dusting of flour and cover your hands in some flour.
3. Knead until you have a darling ball of dough.
4. Divide into four segments. Roll one section at a time on a floured surface until it is about 1/2″ thick.
5. Cut into one inch pillows.
6. OPTIONAL- add the fork marks on the back of each pillow.
7. Dust the pillows with flour to prevent sticking.
8. Cook like pasta in salted, boiling water.
The Undomestic Goddess and Sew Dog Designs want to thank everyone who participated in our giveaway. Congratulations our winner, Beth L.!
The Undomestic Goddess is now on Facebook, take a few minutes to like our page.