With out first big snowfall of the year arriving yesterday, it was a huge sign to stop posting pumpkin recipes because the fall is over. On cold wintery days after playing with the puppy in the snow, a warm meal hits the spot. Today’s Make It a Meal is ideal for the cold winter days which have arrived. So grab your crockpot and get excited.
We all know my love of the crockpot (sadly mine has a crack but I’m still using it!) and this recipe turned out deliciously in it. All you need is about 15 minutes of prep time and you have the perfect warm, winter meal.
Side note: The upcoming Make It a Meals will be cookie/dessert recipes for the holiday season. Get excited!
Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Onions (based on I Was Born to Cook’s recipe)
- 3 pounds of Italian sausage or chorizo, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 sliced onions
- 3 sliced peppers
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- Packet of Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons crushed/minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
1. t your sausage and then brown it in a skillet, making sure all the edges are brown.
Side note: I thought we had Italian sausage but didn’t so I modified the recipe to use Chorizo and it tasted great.
2. Dump into the crockpot.
3. Slice your peppers and onions.
4. Add to crockpot.
5. Add the can of crushed tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt/peper (just a few shakes). Mix everything.
6. Open a bottle of red wine (kind of dry but if you have a bottle that pairs well with italian food, use it).
7. Pour yourself a glass and then pour a half cup into the crockpot. Stir.
8. Turn the crockpot on low for 4 hours.
9. Follow Kelly Clarkson’s advice.
10. Serve over quinoa, in a roll, over pasta– the possibilities are endless!
For two people, we had enough food for about four meals. The first night, I served it in hoagie rolls and the second night over quinoa. Greg preferred it over the quinoa and I preferred it on the rolls but no matter what, it was delicious. The remaining portion made it to the freezer to have another day.