For months Greg has been on the hunt for Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter beer. It got to the point, we going to bars that might/might not have it on tap. You’d arrive and the bartender would wax poetic about the beer but tell you they ran out.
At least for Greg, I’m not a porter girl.
Fast forward to last week– Greg’s in France for work and I’m stocking up on groceries since I had two weeks of eating random frozen foods and Saladworks. The grocery store had a pub section with the Sweet Baby Jesus beer in stock. Even when picking up the two six packs, the check out man was waxing poetic about this beer.
Of course, I felt the need to tempt Greg with the beer and prove my awesoness as a wife through instagram.
Then I took it one step further– I made these cookies with the beer. One bite of these cookies and you will be uttering, “Sweet baby Jesus, these are good.” In each mouthful, you get the the salty taste from crushed pretzel, a hint of sweet from the honey roasted peanuts, and a slight bitterness (in a good way) from the dark chocolate– all wrapped up with a slight malt taste from the beer. In the course of 48 hours, Greg, our friend Ally, and I ate the entire batch.
I’ll say it again, Sweet Baby Jesus, they are really good.
Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe (from the Beeroness)
- 12 ounces Sweet Baby Jesus Porter or any imperial stout/ porter beer
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ½ cup mini peanut butter cups and ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or 1 cup dark chocolate chips)
- 2/3 cup mini pretzel twists, broken into pieces
- ¼ cup honey roasted peanuts
1. Pour your bottle of beer into a pot over medium high heat and reduce it down, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 tablespoon, about 15 minutes.
Side note: This is optional. You don’t have to add the beer.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and both types of sugar, beat until well creamed.
3. Add the egg and the yolk, beat until well combined.
4. Add the 1 tbs of beer, and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
5. Mix both types of flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
6. Try not to trip over your four legged friend.
7. Add dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix on medium/low speed until just barely combined, don’t over mix.
8. Add the peanut butter cups, chocolate chips, pretzel pieces, and peanuts, and stir.
9. Cover and chill for at least four hours in the refrigerator.
10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
11. Scoop/roll dough into golf ball sized dough balls.
12. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.
13. Enjoy with a Sweet Baby Jesus beer!