WARNING: CUTENESS OVERLOAD!
No, it’s not a picture of Hazel.
Today’s Make It a Meal Monday is not truly a meal but a fun and festive dessert for any Spring gathering. The best part about this recipe is the ease of preparation. A few ingredients and no real cooking but major impact for your family and friends. By making these Nutter Butter Chicks, you will wow them with your creativity and ingenuity.
The recipe called for Nutter Butter cookies but you can make adorable round chicks with Golden Oreos. I didn’t try them with chocolate Oreos because I worried the chocolate would show through the yellow chocolate.
See how adorable both cookies chicks are. You could easily make Angry Bird cookies with the Oreos for a child’s birthday celebration. So let’s get started with how to make the Chicks!
Nutter Butter Chicks (adapted from CincyShopper.com)
- Package of Nutter Butter cookies or Oreos (if you want the round shape)
- Yellow chocolate melts
- 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Orange icing or edible food pens
- 1.5 tablespoons of Crisco
1. Open the bag of chocolate melt into a microwave safe bowl.
2. Add the crisco and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. The crisco helps smooth out the chocolate when dipping the cookies. If you’ve ever had problems with clumpy chocolate when dipping or making candies, add crisco.
3. Stir the chocolate and microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat until the chocolate is all smooth and melted.
4. While the chocolate is melting, lay a piece of wax paper out.
5. Also pour your chocolate chips into a bowl and open the package of cookies.
6. Eat a few chocolate chips.
7. Once your chocolate is melted, place a cookie and coat in chocolate. I recommend using a fork to turn it in the chocolate and pull it out. Let the excess chocolate drip off before placing on the wax paper.
8. Take two chocolate chips and place on as eyes. I turning my chips upside down so the flat side was visible. Greg preferred the point side up.
9. Repeat until you run out of chocolate.
10. Let the cookies dry/harden and use orange icing to make a beak and feet. You can also use the edible markers made specifically for chocolate melts.