If you haven’t figured it out– I’m a total magpie, show me something sparkly or glitter and I’m a happy camper. All winter I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect piece of art to hang over the card catalog bookcase and then I saw it on Pinterest.
A friend who shares the same magpie tendencies (just look at her shoe blog) posted this print.
Perfect for me, right? LaLuna Designs created the print and customized the colors. I chose the print at home option since I had a few other images to print at Kinkos.
As much as I loved it, it needed something. A plain 8×10 frame wouldn’t do. We had a larger frame with mat in our pile of random unhung art work ($2 clearance at Michael’s woohoo!) and with a slight modification, I knew it would be perfect.
Modification? A glitter mat, of course. Fortunately we still had several rolls of glitter wrapping paper left from the wedding and I grabbed one. Modifying a mat can provide a great way to change the look of an image or provide more fun to your wall.
Side note: I swear the glitter wrapping paper keeps multiplying. I don’t remember buying this many rolls.
About 10 minutes later, I completed the easiest and sparkliest project of our office renovation. Now let’s get into how you can make your own picture mat.
What you will need
- Glitter wrapping paper (or non glitter wrapping paper)
- Exacto knife
- Glue (stick or bottle)
- Cutting mat (or something to cut on)
1. Unroll your paper and lay upside down. If you are using a paper with a pattern/print, please lay right side up.
2. Lay your mat right side up on top of the paper. You do this because we are gluing the glitter paper to the bottom side of the mat. Why? Because the bottom side does not have the beveled edge.
3. Cut around the mat with your exacto knife. If you don’t have an exacto knife, trace around the mat with pencil and cut with scissors.
4. Get annoyed when you realized you keep writing mat “matt”.
5. Glue the glitter paper to the back of the mat. Glitter side up, of course.
6. Insert into frame.
7. Add print.
8. Hang and smile because it so fits your personality.