One of my all time, hands down, favorite vegetables is zucchini. Growing up, we’d get the torpedo sized zucchini’s from the garden and this year was no different. For weeks of the summer, we were swimming (figuratively, not literally) in massive zucchinis from my parent’s garden and our CSA. Not wanting them to go to waste, I spent several weekends making zucchini pies, zucchini tater tots, zucchini quiches, zucchini pizza crusts, and zucchini bread. I’m not kidding when tell you this, one zucchini produced six loaves of bread and one pizza crust.
Our freezer is jam packed with food for the winter and this Blueberry Lemon bread is amazing– moist, delicious, and easy to make. I started doubling the recipe to make two at time and sharing the other with friends and family. If you’re like us and have a few zucchinis to use, consider this bread.
Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bread (adapted from Lil’ Luna)
- 3/4 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup grated zucchini
*You can make buttermilk from regular milk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to a scant cup of milk.
1. Mix flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
2. Sigh when you realize how much there will be to clean up after.
3. Beat eggs in the mixer. Feel free to hum Beat It.
4. Add oil and sugar and blend.
5. Add lemon juice and buttermilk, continue to blend.
6. Fold in zucchini until it is mixed well.
7. Fold in blueberries.
8. Add all the dry ingredients to the mixer and blend.
9. Pour batter into greased 9×5 loaf pan.
10. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Test bread and it needs longer time, cover with fold and bake for another 5-10 minutes.