Summer is rapidly approaching which means it’s time to start infusing our vodka and tequila for the ultimate summer cocktail. Sure, you can purchase a flavored vodka but it won’t taste nearly as good as vodka infused with fresh ingredients.
Last weekend I started my first batches and this weekend, I’m starting two more. For the ultimate summer cocktails, start with one of my five suggestions.
Basic tools of the trade: mason jar, vodka/tequila (not the cheap stuff but not the most expensive), time. Dark, cool area to store the jar(s).
1. Strawberry tequila- one quart hulled strawberries (or bag of frozen) and one bottle of silver tequila in a mason jar. Let sit for three weeks, shaking every other day. Strain and rebottle. Serve it with margarita mix and amaze your friends.
2. Jalapeño tequila- slice four jalapeños, leaving the seeds in one and silver tequila in one large mason jar. Let sit for a day and test. Test each day until desire heat has been reached. I’ve never let it sit for more than three days. Remove peppers and mix with margarita mix for a spicy/sweet cocktail.
3. Blueberry tequila- One quart blueberries or bag of frozen blueberries and one bottle of silver tequila in a mason jar. Let sit for three weeks, shaking every other day. Strain and rebottle. Serve it with margarita mix and be the life of the party.
4. Pineapple Vodka- Add one peeled/sliced pineapple (not canned) and one bottle of vodka in a mason jar. Let sit for three weeks, shaking every other day. Strain and rebottle. Serve it with desired mixers.
5. Basil Vodka- Take one large bundle of basil and muddle in the mason jar. Add the vodka and let it sit for a week (again shaking every other day). Test after a week and if you desire a stronger flavor, continue to let it infuse. If you’re happy with it, strain and rebottle. The basil vodka is ideal for an adult basil lemonade cocktail.